Thursday, October 23, 2014

Tropical Holiday Recipes: Pies, Tarts, and Cheesecakes

As October comes to an end I start planning my holiday meals. This post is the first in a series I will be doing over the next month containing recipes that will add a tropical twist to your typical holiday fare. Even before we moved to Maui I would try to include at least one tropical element in my holiday meals to make my husband feel more at home. I'm starting this series with my personal favorite element of any holiday meal pie, or in this case Pies, Tarts, and Cheesecakes. In my quest for tropical holiday recipes over the years these are some of the best I've come across, they are great any time and are sure to make your meal one to remember.


1)Hawaiian Lilikoi Tart 
 
Lilikoi, or passion fruit, is a favorite in the islands. If you can't find fresh passion fruit puree is fine, just make sure you have 2/3cup when combined with the lime juice. It can usually be found in either the frozen section or in places like Whole Foods or Trader Joes. 

 

Make sure you are using full fat coconut milk for the whipped cream in this recipe. Lite or fat free won't give you the nice solids you need to make the whip. 

Now this recipe calls for using red skinned sweet potatoes or yams, but if you are lucky enough to be in Maui or somewhere else they are available the purple Molokai sweet potatoes that we grow here in the islands makes this really stand out. 


 
This recipe calls for pecans but for an even more tropical twist I like to use Macadamia Nuts. 

This is a fun twist on traditional pecan pie simply replacing the pecans with macadamia nuts. 


 
This recipe calls for macadamia nut ice cream which can be hard to find. I've found that both coconut ice cream and plain old fashioned vanilla turn out quite good as well. 



So there you are, some tropical recipes to get you started on your holiday meal planning. Check back next week when I post a collection of tropical main dish ideas for the holidays. Aloha from Maui. 









No comments:

Post a Comment